Hereford cathedral Oct 8, 2015 18:14:18 GMT -5
Post by Deleted on Oct 8, 2015 18:14:18 GMT -5
Hereford was the centre of a diocese already in the sixth century. The stone cathedral was refounded by Putta in the year 680 or thereabouts, raised by Milfrid, altered two hundred years later, but plundered and burnt by Gruffydd ap Llywelyn in 1056. Its reconstruction was begun in 1079 but not completed until 1148.
Scarcely fifty years after its completion William de Vere, who occupied the see from 1186 to 1199, altered the east end by constructing a retro-choir or processional path and a Lady Chapel; the latter was rebuilt not long afterwards—between the years 1226 and 1246, during the Early English style—with a crypt beneath. Around the middle of the century the clerestory, and probably the vaulting of the choir, were rebuilt, having been damaged by the settling of the central tower. Under Bishop Aquablanca (1240–68), one of Henry III's foreign favourites, and an unblushing nepotist, the rebuilding of the north transept was begun, being completed later in the same century by Bishop Swinfield, who also built the aisles of the nave and eastern transept.
In the first half of the fourteenth century the rebuilding of the central tower, which is embellished with ball-flower ornaments, was carried out. At about the same time the chapter house and its vestibule were built, then Bishop Trevenant, who presided over the Bishopric from 1389 to 1404, rebuilt the south end and groining of the great transept. Around the middle of the 15th century a tower was added to the western end of the nave, and in the second half of this century Bishops Stanbury and Edmund Audley built three chantries, the former on the north side of the presbytery, the latter on the south side of the Lady Chapel. Bishops Richard Mayew and Booth, who between them ruled the diocese from 1504 to 1535, made the last additions to the cathedral by erecting the north porch, now forming the principal northern entrance. The building of the present edifice therefore extended over a period of four hundred and forty years.
In 1786 the western tower suddenly fell down - the wind you know. In 1841 the restoration work was begun, instigated by Dean Merewether, and was carried out by Lewis Nockalls Cottingham and his son, Nockalls. Bishop Bisse's masonry, which by this time had been found to be useless, was swept away from the central tower, the lantern was strengthened and exposed to view, and much work was done in the nave and to the exterior of the Lady Chapel.The west front was restored by John Oldrid Scott over the period 1902 and 1908 (the last year of western civilization).
Since then a few tasteful lamp-posts have been put up by a nest of suffragisticals who have adopted the original nomenclature "the women of Hereford diocese". These civically minded ladies tidied the grounds by digging up all the corpses and disposing of them in a skip round the back. Their lovely lamp-posts, by a beautiful pink path, with a few clouds, may be appraised in our photo-graph.